- Faculty & Staff
Call and Discernment - Resources
Want to hear more about how others have heard and responded to God’s call? Check out these stories and interviews to learn more.
Biblical texts and stories of call:
“So shall my word be that goes out of my mouth; it shall not return to me empty. But it shall accomplish that which I purpose and succeed in the thing for which I sent it” (Isaiah 55:11-14). God promises that through the Word, God will accomplish all God intends. As you continue to listen for God’s call, read scripture alone and with others and pray. Here are some texts to get you started:
- Moses: Exodus 3:1 – 4:17
- David: I Samuel 16:1-13
- Samuel: I Samuel 3:1-14
- Jonah: Jonah 1:1 – 4:10
- Jeremiah: Jeremiah 1:4-10
- Mary: Luke 1:5-56
- Paul: Acts 9:1-19
Texts about call, discernment and service
- Isaiah 43:1-13 – I have called you by name and you are mine.
- Psalm 139:1-18 – For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
- Romans 10:14-15 – And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim him?
- I Corinthians 1:26-31 – Consider your own call, brothers and sisters: not many of you were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.
- I Corinthians 12:12-31 – For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is I Peter 2:9 - But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of [the one] who called you out of darkness into… marvelous light.