Certificate in Advanced Graduate Studies
The Advanced Graduate Certificate is designed to follow the first theological degree (MAR or MDiv), and to enable the candidate to engage in serious study in applied theology. It may be combined with study for either the Master of Sacred Theology or the Doctor of Ministry degrees.
- The certificate requires completion of 8 STM/DMin level courses in applied theology with a GPA of at least 2.75 in a 4.0 scale.
- Courses are in such areas as worship/liturgy, preaching, education, ethics, public theology, world religions, administration, evangelism, pastoral care, communication, collegial ministry, church and society, and stewardship.
- Courses may be taken over a six-year period.
- AGC or AGC/STM applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from a fully accredited college and either a Master of Divinity degree(generally, 90 semester hours of graduate credit) or a Master of Arts in Religion degree or equivalent (at least 60 semester hours of graduate credit) from a fully accredited seminary or divinity school. For admission to AGC/DMin, applicants must have a Master of Divinity degree or its equivalent from an accredited seminary or divinity school, plus three years of ministry following completion of the Master of Divinity degree. In all cases, the GPA on the MDiv or MAR degrees must be 3.0 or higher.
RELATION TO MASTER OF SACRED THEOLOGY (STM) AND DOCTOR OF MINISTRY (DMin) DEGREES
- Persons may apply either to the AGC and STM and DMin programs upon the conclusion of their Advanced Graduate Certificate. (The student should bear in mind that the maximum length of the STM and of the DMin programs is six years per degree program, which includes the additional degree work, outlined below.) Annual extensions beyond six years require permission of the faculty and payment of an extension fee.
- Only students with a GPA of 3.0 at the conclusion of the AGC are able to continue in the DMin or STM programs.
TRANSFER OF COURSE CREDITS
- Up to three courses toward the AGC may be transferred from other schools that are accredited to offer STM/DMin degrees. (However, up to four courses will be transferable from previous graduate coursework at one of the Eastern Cluster Seminaries.)
- Such courses must be completed at the STM, DMin or similar advanced level with a grade of B or higher. (i.e. no MDiv or other basic level courses will be accepted.) Courses completed over 10 years ago will not be able to be applied to the certificate without approval of the faculty.
- No advanced standing is given for students in the AGC or combined AGC-STM program.