Commencement 2017 is scheduled to be held on Tuesday, May 23, at 3:00 pm at Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1000 West Main Street, Lansdale, PA, 19446. The Commencement speaker will be Bishop Guy Erwin of the Southwest California Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Admission of guests is by ticket only.
- Application for graduation should be submitted to the registrar no later than January 3 of the year in which you plan to graduate, whether or not you will attend the ceremony. Please submit this form if you have any hope of graduating, even if you are not sure you will complete requirements on time.
- Graduation planning checklist
- Graduation and Hood/Gown Pick-Up Clearance Form (must be submitted by May 17 whether or not you will be attending Commencement)
- Template for make-your-own graduation announcement (MS Word)
For all prospective graduates, whether or not attending:
- Complete the “Graduation and Hood/Gown Pick-Up Clearance Form” above, whether or not you will be attending Commencement. Bring the form and any supporting documents to Enrollment Services when you pick up your gown, OR bring the materials to the Commencement site if you will not be picking up your gown ahead of time, OR submit them to the registrar (email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 215-248-7315, or mail to LTSP Registrar, 7301 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19119).
- During the Commencement ceremony, you will receive a diploma cover, but not your actual diploma. Diplomas and final transcripts will be distributed to eligible students (see next paragraph) at the gown return area following Commencement or via US mail to those who cannot attend Commencement.
- Please note that neither diplomas nor transcripts will be issued to those graduates:
- Whose accounts at the Business Office or Library are not satisfied in full.
- Whose student records lack appropriate official transcripts from prior institutions or institutions issuing credits in transfer.
- For whom any final grades have not yet been submitted by instructor(s)
- Who have any other outstanding obligations (Student Learning Assessment requirements, Graduating Student Questionnaire, etc.)
Graduation announcements will not be provided by the seminary. A template announcement (Word format) is available for download above.
Schedule of Events:
- Gown pickup in the week(s) before Commencement will be in the Enrollment Services area of the Brossman Center; start date to be announced. (You will need to submit your completed “Graduation and Hood/Gown Pickup Clearance Form;” see below for details.)
- Saturday, May 20 – Senior Class Picnic 4:00 pm on campus
- Monday, May 22 – Service of Farewell & Godspeed at 7:00 pm, Schaeffer-Ashmead Chapel, located on campus. No tickets required for this service – all are invited!
- Tuesday, May 23 – Commencement at 3:00 pm, Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1000 West Main Street, Lansdale, PA, 19446. TICKETS REQUIRED (graduating students will get 5 tickets each)
- Students need to gather at Trinity in Hyson Hall no later than 45 minutes prior to Commencement for procession instructions. Gowns/hoods will be available in the robing area for those students unable to pick them up earlier.
Admission by guests to Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church will be by ticket only. Five (5) tickets will be given to each graduate (the student who is graduating does not need a ticket).
For all prospective graduates planning to attend Commencement:
- A rented academic gown (and hood, where appropriate) will be provided for each graduate. Be sure to provide the measurements requested on the application for graduation to facilitate the ordering of gowns. Submit this application immediately to the Registrar (email@example.com; fax 215-248-7315), if you have not already done so.
- Gowns and hoods will be available for pick-up from Enrollment Services (second floor, Brossman Center) in the days preceding Commencement. You will be required to have obtained clearances from the Business Office, Library, and Financial Aid Officer, and recipients of degrees will need to have completed the Graduating Student Questionnaire online (instructions will be emailed). Gowns and hoods will also be distributed at the robing area on the day of Commencement to those students unable to pick them up earlier. [Note that we do not use graduation caps or tassels, except for PhD graduates.]
- Students need to gather at Trinity in Hyson Hall (click here for sketch of Trinity’s floorplan) no later than 45 minutes prior to Commencement for procession instructions. Gowns/hoods will be available in the robing area for those students unable to pick them up earlier. Do not be late; the procession will begin on time with or without you. There will be no rehearsal of the ceremony other than an oral “talk-through” prior to the ceremony. It is recommended that you give any personal items to family or friends to hold for you.
- There are steps leading up to and down from the altar area where you will receive your degree. Students are strongly encouraged to wear low-heeled shoes while navigating the steps in gowns to prevent any accidents or awkward moments.
- Following the ceremony and after greeting guests and taking photos, each graduate is to return as promptly as possible to the robing area (Hyson Hall). Return your gown to staff persons there (MDiv, MAPL, and MAR graduates also return the hood). Once your name has been checked off, you may check on your status for diploma pick-up. If your name is not checked off as having returned the gown or hood, you will be charged for the missing item(s).
Other Information for Graduates and Guests
- Parking is available on Trinity Church property on a first-come/first-served basis. While church parking is ample, guests may need to seek street parking if parking lots fill up. Therefore, please leave ample time to find parking and walk to the Church.
- Cars may pull up very close to the entrance at the rear of the building to drop off passengers before seeking a parking space. The rear entrance is at street level. See this sketch of Trinity’s floorplan. Please notify Diana Downey if you or your guests have other special needs.
- Photographs of that special moment when you receive your diploma will be taken by a professional photographer and will be available for purchase. Details will be available at a later date.