New on campus: the Augustana Museum
The Augustana Museum of the Augustana Institute at the Lutheran Archives Center was dedicated on Saturday, June 25, 2016. The museum is located in The Brossman Center. The dedication included a short service with Officiant the Rt. Rev. Dr. Jonas Jonson, Bishop Emeritus, Strängnäs stift Church of Sweden, a Gospel reading by the Rev. Dr. L. George Detweiler, Treasurer, Lutheran Archives Center, along with a hymn verse and the Benediction in Swedish to honor the Augustana pioneers and their more than 200 congregations and institutions in the Northeast. The dedication was part of the events of the Augustana Heritage Valedictory celebration on Midsummer Day, June 25.
Retired pastor from North Carolina the Rev. G. Duane (Dewey) Johnson presented two wooden signs for the museum. His expertise reflects the ability of many Swedish immigrants to work with wood. He was born and raised in Jamestown, New York, ordained in 1958, and served congregations in Texas.
The stop at the new Augustana Museum was part of a tour that took all the celebration participants to Gloria Dei Old Swedes Church and the American Swedish Historical Museum in addition to the seminary. Since the group had to be divided, only some of the attendees to the celebration were able to participate in the dedication by Bishop Jonson.
View a slide show of the dedication event and the museum:
You can view the photo gallery here.
The Augustana Museum is part of the Augustana Institute, which grew out of a 2009 Swedish Festival at First Lutheran Church in Brockton, MA, when a campaign was launched to establish an “Augustana Room” at the Lutheran Seminary in Philadelphia. Growing interest and support for the Augustana tradition in the East has now matured into an Augustana Institute and Museum. The museum was created to exhibit materials from the archives of Upsala College, some 80 archival boxes of records from the Augustana New York and New England Conferences, and holdings of the Swedish Colonial Society and its world-renowned collections of genealogical materials related to the first Swedish and Finnish settlers in the 17th Century Delaware Valley. As an affiliated organization of the Lutheran Archives Center it manages an extensive and growing archives, a museum displaying significant items from Augustana congregations, personalities, institutions, and authors. It has sponsored lectures and forums and hopes to encourage exchanges of Swedish and American pastors and students.
Following the dedication, admission to the Augustana Museum is by appointment only. For more information about the Institute or how to visit us, contact The Rev. Dr. Kim-Eric Williams, Curator of The Augustana Institute at Lutheran Archives Center, 7301 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19119-1794 or the Archives website, www.lacphila.org.