- Faculty & Staff
An Eastern Reading of the Gospel of Luke - Lenten Book Study on an Arabic Commentary of the Gospel of Luke
Dr. Grafton will be leading the Lenten Devotional Study at Upper Dublin Lutheran Church, Ambler, PA (6:00-7:30).
Come follow the contemporary Syrian Christian author Mazhar Mallouhi (b. 1935) as he retells the story of Jesus’ journey to the Cross within his own Middle Eastern cultural context. We will read through passages of the Gospel of Luke together with translations from Mallouhi’s Arabic commentary on An Eastern Reading of the Gospel of Luke. Presentations and group discussions of this material to help us will help us glean new and revealing insights into the story of Jesus’ road to Calvary as the story of a Middle Eastern Arab, and aid us in our own Lenten faith journeys. There is no book to purchase, but individuals are invited to bring their own Bibles in a variety of translations, or use those provided at the church.
- Wednesday, February 20: Mazhar Mallouhi and his writings: The Oral Culture of the Middle East (Luke 1:1-17)
- Wednesday, February 27:The illegitimate Birth of a Son in the Village (Luke 1:26-38; 2:1-20)
- Wednesday, March 6 Hospitality and Belonging to a Community (Luke 9:1-6; 12-17; 10-27)
- Wednesday, March 13 Gender Relations (Luke 7:36-50)
- Wednesday, March 20 The Neighbor (Luke 10:25-37)
For more information, please go to udlc.org/worship-a-music/lent-at-upper-dublin.